Friday 29 January 2010

Days 23 - 29: The Big Hairy Beast vs. the offspring of Shelob & Aragog

Well no blogs this past week, mainly due to the amount of time it takes to get everything done. I'm trying this weekly format to sum up the photos I've done. Let me know if you really can't live without my inane ramblings on a daily basis ;-)

Last saturday I was feeling under the weather, having caught Siegrid's flu. Now she might not have taken it seriously, but I'm a man - and that meant MANFLU!!!! Luckily I had the Big Hairy Beast (or the big hairy hot water bottle - more of whom below) lying on me as I watched the football in the afternoon so I didn't have to get up to take my photo :D

 
The Big Hairy Beast (Ginny), after a hard day's work

The Big Hairy Beast does come in extremely useful in other ways too. Living in the country, she delights in dragging all sorts of animals home which, more often than not, the head of which I am given as a trophy. This kind of behaviour doesn't always meet Siegrid's approval. The rat's head before christmas was particularly bloody, the wild hare she dragged through the house was rather messy (it wasn't even in season! tut tut!) and the various detached mice heads left in a ritual manner outside the front door are just freaky.
The Big Hairy Beast topped all of her previous behaviour this week. Not once, but twice. She saved Siegrid from certain mutilation at the hands, or limbs, of the arachnid offspring of Shelob and Aragog. Now, I didn't see this spider alive myself, but according to Siegrid it was biiiiiiiiiiig. Big big:

An artist's impression of the size of the spider according to eyewitness accounts (to scale)

The Big Hairy Beast responded to the 1st attack by the Spider on Siegrid by bravely fighting it off, forcing it to hide (though how something that big can hide in our house I don't know). When it sneakily reappeared hours later, Ginny stepped in again. This battle of beasts will become the stuff of legend. Already Hollywood Moguls have comissioned a remake of "Clash of the Titans" in its honour. The Big Hairy Beast triumphed. As I strolled into the lounge to be greeted by the sight of Siegrid (stood on a chair just like in a Tom & Jerry cartoon) screaming while Ginny batted the spider all around the lounge, I wondered what the all the fuss was about, it looked tiny to me. BUT I didn't know that when giant spiders die, they shrink back to a normal size. Now that is something that J. K. Rowling got wrong, and thanks to Siegrid for pointing that out to me.

Anyhoo, a selection of other snaps from this week, the sharper-eyed amongst might notice the general snowy theme:





































Thanks for stopping by...

1 comment:

ShareThis